.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Daily Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2004

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mean to shout, but it's official. The general public are IDIOTS. How else can you explain La Toya London's dismissal from American Idol? It's not even right.

And it's not that I'm the biggest fan in the world, frankly, I think Fantasia should win the competition for exuding so much personality. However, La Toya has the best voice, incredible stage presence, and I'm certain will be 10X the recording artist that Fantasia is. At any rate, this was not her week to go home. Jasmine is a fine artist for her age, give her a few years and she could be a great performer. Diana is already a great performer, but I think America is trying to get away from the blonde spunky girls (in the vein of Kelly Clarkson)...

I don't think the show is rigged, personally... what I think is actually happening is viewer complacency...

1) the finalists from all of the previous episodes either have a record deal, or have gone on to some sort of entertainment career... viewers think, so what if they don't win, we'll still get an album out of them. (While we're on the subject, check out my "What's Hot" page for a link to Kimberley Locke's new album, it's fantastic!)

2) There is the belief that everyone else is voting for the contestants, so what's the point.. they already have enough to win. I think that's what we saw happen with Jennifer Hudson, and I think that's a strong possibility here, as well.

3) There's an innate human desire to root for the underdog. Jasmine's tearfest last night when getting rightfully criticized by the judges was probably just the ticket for scoring the sympathy vote.

4) Simon dissed Hawaii, and you know how the Hawaiians get!

I'll close for the moment... but I'm shaking my angry fist at the sky and screaming "Why!? Why!?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home