.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Daily Blog

Saturday, May 08, 2004

God what a month...

I have a good excuse this time. I really do. My grandmother fell ill and was hospitalized for two weeks. I spent 6 days staying in a hospital waiting room helping my family make the decision to remove her from dialysis and cease all aggressive life-extending measures that were keeping her alive. She passed away on April 12, which is also my brother's birthday.

I spent the next week dealing with even worse family drama involving her belongings, and the house that she had lived in for forty years.

I'm not ready to write about her, and the things that I would really like to commit to print, but I will soon.

I did get the chance to reconnect with my cousins who are all grown up now... it's amazing, I still picture them as the little kids that they were when we ran around my grandma's at Christmas... but they're not, and they were pretty accepting and perhaps even a bit in awe of me and my California ways.

All these events put a stop to my efforts to buy a house, and start my own business. Now that I am back in town I am trying to get that momentum going again. In the meantime, my house is now full of boxes and boxes of collectibles, antiques and other random stuff that I have agreed to sell on EBay to try and help defray the hospital and funeral expenses that my family will be stuck with. If you have a moment, you might drop over to my EBay seller's page and see if there's anything there you can't live with out and could drop a few bucks on to help us out. You can see a list of all my current auctions here.

Oh yeah.. forgot to mention that I got laid off... well I may have mentioned that my last day was going to be June 1, but they decided that since I had no job description and no duties to perform that I could take the last month off with pay. Not that I'm complaining, but I'm really struggling to figure out where to go and what to do next. I always seem to land on my feet, but the days leading up to those decisions are the absolute worse.

All in all, April was awful, stressful, and outside of the ONE night that I got to visit with some friends while back in Kansas City, and getting to visit with my cousins, it was devoid of anything remotely fun.

All for now... but hopefully I'll get back in to the swing of things now that I'm off work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home