.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Daily Blog

Friday, August 08, 2003

The Tilden Park Adventure

Yesterday, my group at work had their annual picnic in Tilden Park, and I managed to avoid seriously injuring myself this year, thank you very much. I did get a bit of sunburn while cooking, but that's nothing compared to the 2nd degree ankle sprain last year, that involved much physical therapy and walking with a cane for 3 months...

At any rate, after the picnic, UncleMonkeyBoi and I decided to go for a hike in the ravine behind the picnic site. There's a pretty creek running through the area, and we were hoping to find some salamanders or other amphbians or reptiles hanging out. We managed to find a couple dozen California Newts (Taricha torosa) swimming and crawling along the bank of the creek. We didn't find any other species, which I found a bit strange, considering the prime habitat.

Well, when I say we didn't find any other species, I meant of amphibians or reptiles.... at the end of our hike, while crossing under a large bridge, I saw what appeared to be a naked man. UMB was a few yards ahead of me, and he confirmed, yes, it is a naked man... and he's not alone. We had managed to stumble upon a couple of guys getting it on in the woods.

Now, I think there's a bit of a voyeur in everyone... and I'm no prude by any means. I was enjoying the show for the first minute or two. The whole scene was kind of funny and observing people when they don't know you're there, makes it exciting. However, the man who was in the best 'position' to see us, spotted us. And I know he was enjoying the idea of the hikers stumbling into his little 'after work, don't tell the missus' tryst in the woods. But it became a bit creepy to me once he began making eye contact with UMB and me. We were no longer observing the situation, we had become participants in the fantasy, and I didn't want that. So I motioned to UMB to follow me, and we headed back down the hill toward the car.

We saw the guys leave in separate SUV's, presumably back to their mid-forties, mortgage, wives, car notes, and kids. I realize it's completely possible the two were unmarried and even possibly a couple that thought it would be fun to meet up after work at the park. But I think my take on the story is much more interesting.

The very act of observation changes that which is being observed....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home