.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Daily Blog

Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Doing your civic duty

I cannot believe the things that people will say to get out of doing jury duty. It was completely amazing. I heard everything from "I have to do an inventory at Safeway next week, and I need to prepare," to "My religion prohibits me from judging people or associating with sinners." The worst by far was the psychotherapist who couldn't sit on the DUI case because of the 'emotional torment that I am experiencing because of my work with chemically dependant patients. I couldn't possible make a fair and impartial decision regarding this case feeling as emotional and upset as I am.'

Come on!!!!

We all know that you're lying. We all know that you're giving us a big load of bullshit, and you expect us to swallow it? The worst thing is that these people get out of doing their civic duty... leaving some of the more 'unsavory' people behind to sit on the jury. Is that really a jury of your peers? The defendant was asian. The one asian man on the panel was excused during a preemptory challenge. (He couldn't sit on the jury because he's the only income in his household of six and one of only two employees at his place of business. Yawn.)

The prosecuting attorney hammered the girl next to me because she stated that she had some experience with DUI cases because her dad was an alcoholic. He wanted to know how much of a hell she had been through as a child. After that episode I caught up to her on our break. I told her I didn't think it would score the DA any points by making a juror cry. She laughed hysterically at that. She was the first to be removed from the panel.

I spent a total of 8 hours basically sitting on my ass waiting for something to happen. The DA asked me about my experiences and I think my mentioning UncleMonkeyBoi is what eventually got me kicked off. On the way to sign out, a black man that had been excused at the same time walked out with me.

He said, "I think they got rid of you because you're just too smart and eloquent."

"I think they got rid of you because you're black. They had to get rid of the asian, the black, and the fag."

He laughed and said, "You know what's really funny is that I'm a Christian minister, and you didn't hear me crying foul in the name of God. What a screwy system."

What a screwy system indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home