.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Daily Blog

Monday, July 14, 2003

Personality Change

I received an email from an old friend a couple of days ago, someone who I haven't talked to for probably seven years. I happened to run across his website and dropped him a note to say hello. He asked the perfunctory questions, like what are you up to now, what's your life like, etc. I haven't responded to him yet. I'm still trying to process how completely different my life is now from then.

Honestly, I think the person that I was back then wasn't even really me. Memories of that time are like recalling something from a movie that I watched once. A familiar sound to the plot, but it doesn't ring true to me. Last time that I talked to him, I was just moving away from Nashville after having to live in my car for a couple of weeks. My dreams of being a country music star had been chewed up and spit out after a horrible record deal fiasco. My confidence was at an all time low. I was broke, desperate, and miserable. I had to move back home to Kansas City. When I left, I left some of the greatest friendships I had known. Rique', Hoss, Mama Sharon, Shane, John, Scooter, Jay, Keith, Carolyn, Candace, Matt, and god knows who I've forgotten. The script has become so foreign.

Rique' is one of those larger than life people that has so much energy exuding from him that his body temperature actually soars. Everything in excess, biggerfasterbettermore, and oh, how he can laugh!! I'll spare him any potential embarrasment of telling particular stories, but I will say that as long as I live, I will *never* forget his famous 'character,' Cousin Dick Tucker. Even now as I write this, I'm supressing a bout of hysterical laughter, bordering on tears. Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion! -Steel Magnolias

How do I respond to this email and try to sum up all the changes that I've gone through in the past seven years? When his last memory of me is of this crushed kid going home with his tail between his legs...

I guess the only thing that I can really say is that I've grown up.

Pardon me while I mourn my youth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home