.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Daily Blog

Saturday, July 12, 2003

Never Be Unreachable Again...

I have ten email addresses. I'm not kidding. Only one of which is 'personal' that I use to correspond to people I actually want to talk to. Several of the addresses are set up for my work as a web designer at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, different aliases and such. One address is to reach my cell phone, for things requiring my immediate attention. Yet another I use in my attempts to filter out spam.

Tip: Anytime you sign up or register your email address online, you can be fairly certain that you will end up on a spam list. Set up a free email address from Hotmail or Yahoo and always enter that address online. Let the spam go to that email address, and if there is correspondence you really want from the company you've registered with, send them a seperate email asking them to change your contact information. You'll eliminate 85% of spam this way.

In addition to ten email addresses, I have the aforementioned cell phone, a home phone, and a work phone. I'm also available on several instant messaging systems, including AIM, MSN, and Yahoo.

There's voice mail on all the phones, you can leave text messages on the various messenger programs or my cell phone. My cable company can even leave me notes on my television!!! I am so connected at this very minute, that I can almost feel all the different data streams and bits slamming into my body.

If you have trouble reaching me, it's because I'm on some remote tropical island where there are no cell phone towers, satellite internet links, or cable tv, and by god, don't come looking for me, because I needed to unplug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home